2012 FACES Postdoctoral Fellowship
Emory University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Morehouse College and
Spelman College are the recipients of a National Science Foundation
Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate grant. The goal of
the award is to assist universities in developing programs to increase
the number of scientists and engineers from underrepresented ethnic
groups pursuing advanced degrees in these fields and entering the
professoriate. One facet of this program is the FACES Postdoctoral
Fellowship. The program will provide one $35,000 grant to a promising
scientist that accepts a postdoctoral position in engineering or science
related field at a U.S. college or university. These funds are intended
to assist newly minted PhDs at an early stage in their academic
careers. The grant can be used to purchase research equipment, for
travel, and other research and career development expenses.
• PhD in science or engineering completed at Emory University or Georgia Institute of Technology after December 31, 2007 and before December 31, 2012. Must have postdoctoral training commitment by December 31, 2012.
OR Post-doctoral fellow at Emory University, Georgia Institute of
Technology, Morehouse College or Spelman College who completed doctoral
degree between December 31, 2007 and before December 31, 2012 and began postdoctoral training after January 1, 2012.
• U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Deadline: Applications are due to Raheem Beyah - email@example.com by April 15, 2012.
Application: The application form must be accompanied by:
• a CV
• a career development plan (five page maximum)
• three letters of recommendation (one from thesis advisor).
career development plan should be a clear statement of the nature and
implementation of the integrated research and training goals and
activities during postdoctoral training. Plans in both areas should be
specific and directly related to the applicants career goals.
This section should present:
• Objectives and significance of the proposed research activities;
• The relation of the research to the current state of knowledge in the field; and
• The professional development plan, describing the professional course to be taken.
and Notification: The selection committee will review and evaluate all
applications, and announce the winner(s) and honorable mention by May 15, 2012
. In the event that a winning candidate accepts employment in a non-academic position or has not secured a faculty position by December 31, 2012
, the grant will be awarded to the first runner-up.
MUST APPLY BY APRIL, 15 2012
Download the application instruction and materials here
If you have questions about the FACES Postdoctoral Fellowship or application procedure contact Raheem Beyah, PhD, 404-413-5721 or firstname.lastname@example.org.